School Workforce Census
Bringing together all of the information you need to stay up to date with the School Workforce Return.
Purpose of the School Workforce Census
The school workforce census is the Department for Education’s primary source of data on school staff, and informs departmental policy on pay and the monitoring of the effectiveness and diversity of the school workforce.
The data collected provides the DfE with statistics on the number and characteristics of teachers, teaching assistants and other non-classroom-based school support staff.
The statistics include:
- teachers’ salaries
- sickness absence levels
- number of teaching vacancies
For secondary school teachers, it also includes statistics on:
- the curriculum subject taught
- whether teachers have qualifications in the subjects they teach
- the hours spent teaching by subject
Supporting Documents and Files
For school following the Gateshead Pay Policy please read the Important Information document first to determine which file you will need to download.
Schools not following the Gateshead Pay Policy please refer to the Adding/Editing Service Terms in SIMS document.
- Important information (please read before beginning your SWC)
- 2018 NJC Service Term + 2017 Teachers Scales (Zip file)
- 2018 Pay Related ALL SERVICE TERMS (Zip file)
- Preparing for the School Workforce Census
- Producing the School Workforce Census
- Adding/editing Service Terms in SIMS
- Data items expected for each category of the workforce
Documentation Now Available Visit our School Workforce Census Help Topic to find all of the latest documentation and files in support of the 2018 School Workforce Census. Note: We advise that you gain your up-to-date pay details from your Human Resources Contact to...read more
Documentation Now Available Visit our School Workforce Census Help Topic to find all of the latest documentation and files in support of the 2017 School Workforce Census. Note: We advise that you gain your up-to-date pay details from your Human Resources Contact to...read more
School Workforce Census 2016 – Error importing 2016 Pay Definition file v1.1 An issue has been identified whilst importing the Pay Definition file v1.1 where the NJC service term will not import due to an issue with contracts attached to Grade B. The issue is that...read more