Managed Switch Initiative – The Offer…
- To swap out all ageing unmanaged switches in schools and academies for new managed switches….
- The replacement cost of the switches will be fully met by the service
- Similarly, all installation, warranty, maintenance charges will be covered too
- The replacement costs of these new switches will also be met by the service
But what are switches?
Switches connect your computers, printers and servers within your school and they act as a controller, enabling your curriculum networked devices to talk to each other.
What are the key differences between unmanaged and managed switches?
An unmanaged switch is not designed to be configured, they have less capacity than managed switches and these days, they are most likely to be found in the home networking environment. One benefit of unmanaged switches, however, is their lower procurement cost over managed switches.
In contrast, the managed switch is configurable and it offers greater flexibility and capacity than an unmanaged switch thereby providing greater network control over how data travels over the network and who has access to it.
- Managed switches provide all of the features of an unmanaged switch
- They can be configured, for example, to prioritise and control traffic on your local area network
- They provide the ability to configure, manage, and monitor your LAN
- They provide greater controls, for example, improved security through controls on how data travels over the network and who has access to it
- They can provide for the remote monitoring of the status of devices on the curriculum network
- They can be used to monitor the performance of the network and quickly detect and repair network problems without having to physically make a site visit to the school or academy location
Why are we doing this?
We are committed to improve the services that we offer to you through our service level arrangements.
We believe that replacing your ageing unmanaged switches with new managed switches will future proof schools and academies by enhancing the internal network infrastructure, improving security and extending the efficiency and effectiveness of our centrally managed support services to you.
Ultimately, we believe that the switch replacement programme is a positive step in the right direction for schools and academies and it is hoped that will ultimately lead to an improvement in the end user experience.
However, we appreciate that you are unlikely to have budgetary capacity to give priority to technical infrastructure of this nature.
How do I qualify for this initiative?
To qualify for this initiative, you must retain a current subscription to the Technical Support Service.
If a current subscription is not in place, then you will be required to pay the outright purchase costs for any equipment supplied. Implementation and service related charges will not be recovered. To avoid such costs, schools and academies may wish to retain their unmanaged switches for such an eventuality, but any costs bone to recommission these switches must be borne by the school or academy.
Should you prefer for there to be no tie in to the service, then we will be happy to arrange an outright purchase arrangement for you…